Sunday 3 March 2013

I Love Feast pop up cafe


Contrary to the recipes I have posted about so far, I am not really into baking ... I am much more of a chop-toss-fry-get-chilli-in-your-eye kinda girl ;) 
However, I did spend this morning at the I Love Feast event in West Norwood, helping out with their pop-up cafe. The tarts I made yesterday went down a treat and there were loads of delicious baked goods donated by various other volunteers. I think the locals had a lovely day.

So, given the general cakey/bakey theme of the weekend, I decided to top it off with baking some bread ... the easiest bread IN THE WORLD THAT EVERYONE SHOULD TRY COS IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL GREAT ON A SUNDAY NIGHT :) plus your average Sainsbury's Local/Tesco Metro is actually likely to stock all these ingredients (which isn't saying much).

Quickest Soda Bread Ever (literally took 7 mins to put together)


Before                           After


Ingredients for one large loaf:
  • 500g plain flour
  • 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 400ml/g live yoghurt (I think most natural/greek yoghurt is live - just don't use MunchBunch)
  • some milk
  • add walnuts/seeds/raisins/dates/olives ... whatever you fancy!
Pre-heat your oven to 200°c. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl (add extra flavourings here if you wish). Make a well and stir in the yoghurt, bringing it all together with a spoon. Then if it seems like its not coming together properly, add a dash of milk at a time and continue to mix into a ball. Knead it for just one or two minutes, put it on a floured baking tray, cut a deep cross in the top and dust generously with more flour (a la 1st pic), then shove that bun in the oven! DONE (well once you have baked for 40-45mins). Make sure it sounds hollow etc etc.

Right, promise next post will involve more chilli and MEAT :) Enough of this bakery bollox.

No comments:

Post a Comment